- This event has passed.
Introduction to Performance Skills
May 4, 2015 - June 1, 2015
Course Description & Schedule
This new, intensive, four-week course focuses on the needs of every lawyer who must deliver a polished, expert, compelling and authentic “performance” under pressure, whether your audience is a jury, a judge, or a client. You will learn techniques for developing your voice, unleashing your energy, and moving through a space with authority, using our sure-fire strategies for winning over your audience, and the skills you need to make your case clear.
- Week 1: Individual Presentations
Each student will make an initial presentation (a client pitch or abbreviated opening statement) and receive in-depth evaluation and assessment of individual goals for the course.
- Week 2: Physical & Vocal Awareness
Participate in group-exercises that lay out the fundamentals of acting and how they apply to personal presentation skills.
- Week 3: Tactics
Learn how to activate your speech through organization, strategy, and physicalizing your connection with the audience.
- Week 4: Rehearsal & Performance
Each student will rehearse their newly constructed Performance Outline and create a more dynamic presentation with on the spot feedback.
- Tuesday Night Individual Session
Each student is offered a 1.5-hour videotaped session, one-on-one with Ms. Drake for in-depth work on any of the techniques or critiques from the class, including voice, physical awareness, audience connection, tactics, or another issue you would like to address.
- 4 Monday classes, May 4 – June 1 (May 25 OFF); Individual sessions will be scheduled on Tuesday evenings, May 12 – 26
- Time: 6:45 – 9:15 PM
- Location: Mt Vernon Square United Methodist Church: Ballet Studio. Located at the intersection of 9th Street, K Street, and Massachusetts Ave NW
- Instructor: Gillian Drake
- Course Fee: $500
Please send an email to email@example.com with your name and contact information.
Space is limited, so act quickly to reserve your space in this dynamic course!